[lbo-talk] Are Conservatives Racist?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Aug 21 10:18:13 PDT 2011

>But again, that's now how I read what Julio says above. He is *not* saying
>that schooling individuals is going to remove racism. He is answering a
>question from Doug (I think it was) to say that if a well-intentioned
>white activist wants to join the struggle then he has to be willing to
>drop his prejudices, be schooled. It's not being claimed that this
>schooling will directly address or solve racism in our society.
>
>I think Julio has responded as well, so feel free to ignore this thread
>with me,
>
> —ravi

Yeah. The approach, at least for radical leftists, is that it's a method of organizing an already engaged political group - in the same way, as a non-profit we're starting has to select a method to ensure fairness - voting, consensus-building, something. In this case, the method is used to guard against the kinds of injustices that occurred in old and new left organizations where white men erased the voices and actual efforts of white women and men and women of color. (cf Angela Davis on how MLK is seen as the leader of the Civil Rights movement but the real work was done by church ladies, most of whom we don't even know - even when they write books about it.)

shag