[lbo-talk] seems 99% sure

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 17:49:09 PDT 2011

Basically, as I understand it (utterly new to this and given the union's agreement not to negotiate in public), we're a campus with a serious surplus (and a ridiculous new commitment to a new med school, with the associated raft of overpaid folks to set it up), a faculty that makes 13% less than the national average for similar institutions, and a growing student body and the admin still wants zero raises for the next three years, a dramatic increase in health care contributions, to chop summer teaching payments in half (which, since chairs are paid in the summer as if they were teaching classes, will lead to many chairs simply resigning and only scary careerists with administrative goals willing to take the spot), to shift chairs from faculty in the union to administrators not eligible, and to decrease campus contributions to retirement. There's also been an utter reversal of every President for years' assertion that campuses and faculty are a special varieties of state institutions and employees such that legislation limiting domestic partner benefits, various hiring preferences etc., do not apply to a position which argues universities and faculty are the same as all other state employees. I don't think this covers it but it gives you a flavor… and they've not come off of one of these positions for five months. The whole package the union asked for comes to 1/2 of 1% of the total university budget. It is not clear if this all comes from the Uni Pres, the Board of Trustees, the Governor, the tenor of the times or all of 'em… A