[lbo-talk] TouchPad

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Aug 22 08:24:27 PDT 2011

On Aug 22, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Bhaskar Sunkara wrote:
> It's effectively open-source now when Jailbroken. Correct me if I'm wrong
> anyone, but it feels that way (judging by the iPhone, I think the same is
> true of the iPad).

That’s not quite correct. I think what you mean is that once jailbroken you can install whatever you want on the iPhone (and by extension the iPad). That’s true. But two things: that does not - as you likely know - imply that iOS itself is [effectively] open sourced (other than the bits open sourced explicitly by Apple). More importantly, it does not mean that the big software vendors, who build the apps that Wojtek is interested in (such as Excel, SAS, etc) are going to release software for the iPad in the hope that users will jailbreak it.

To restate the last point: these big guys would rather go through the Apple app store to release their products than independently sell their software for jailbroken iOS devices. Neither Microsoft nor SAS seem to have ported all their Office and analysis tools to iOS yet, but they most likely will (at least in some pared down version). Apple sells their own Office equivalent suite called iWorks, which works splendidly for my needs (when some suit sends me a Word or Powerpoint document that he insists I have to view or comment on), but might not have offer enough compatibility for power users.

I do agree with Wojtek that if you are using the device primarily for this sort of thing, then you are better off with a laptop. I just got a new MBP a few months ago to replace my 4+ year old MacBook. I did not even consider the iPad an alternative.

—ravi