[lbo-talk] Shoplifters of the world, unite

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 22 09:45:05 PDT 2011

On Aug 22, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Charles Turner wrote:

> To take the Communist Horizon video as an example, likely many of the audience earn a precarious living as Web monkeys at the various financial, media and advertising corps in NYC. They're already predisposed to some sort of political thinking. How to organize them?

That's an excellent question. And while I know that a lot of people have some bones to pick with Jodi about the talk, that organization question - unions, parties, whatever, some kind of institution that lasts beyond the moment and can unite people in some common work towards common goals - is the big one. I've been annoyed by the reaction to Zizek's article on the London riots, a defense of spontaneism. One character on Facebook - where half the world's political discourse now sees to reside - couldn't get past the fact that "Zizek called black people rabble." That itself is a fine example of how the racial paradigm can drive an analysis off the road.

Doug