[lbo-talk] Austerity toeheadedness

martin schiller mschiller at pobox.com
Wed Aug 24 17:08:30 PDT 2011

I was listening to public radio (maybe fresh air) on the way home today, and the topic turned to Buffett and taxing the wealthy. The guest turned the discussion to France, where some wealthy are discussing new taxes for high earners (500k ?) and then explained that France's tax system is based on 'wealth' - money, real property, everything. It brought to mind a comment I made on this list a while back, in favor of taxing 'wealth', and that Jordan was dismissive. If I had known about France at the time, I would've thrown that back at him, and awaited his explanation of my error. Maybe it was offlist. Maybe it was years ago.