[lbo-talk] I, We or They

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 25 08:08:45 PDT 2011

Quite often in many different contexts, but I am concerned oly with this list, one hears the phrases "too many leftists," "so many leftists," etc.

From what vantage point, what perspective, what relationship to left qctivity are these phrases used? How do they define the writer's vantage point.

It seems to me that such phrases, even when accurate, separate the speaker from "the left" and implicitly claim a vantage point Outside of and superior to that of those wh are "in" the left. In other words, such phrases label the writer as an "I" in a superior (objective?) position passing judgment on "them."

I find this position disturbing.

Carrol