[lbo-talk] Arab Spring: The Libyan Remix

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 11:40:31 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> A tyrant who kept his nation independent is being replaced with a tyranny
> that bows to the will of the EU.

Independent, my foot. If Halliburton ran a nation-state, it would look like Qaddafi's Libya. The place was a gigantic prison-cell, where the oil was pumped out for EU consumers, in return for the weapons systems which the regime used for sub-imperial wars on other African countries, as well as on its own people.

Carrol, you go on and on about how the revolution means that ordinary people in the US must get together, figure out how to radically change their society -- and do so. That's exactly what the people of Libya are doing. So they had help along the way -- it's called transnational solidarity, and we need more of it.

-- DRR