[lbo-talk] this sucks about joe noonan

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Aug 25 22:10:34 PDT 2011

At 10:45 PM 8/25/2011, // ravi wrote:
>On Aug 25, 2011, at 7:27 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:
> > They must have a social media app out there, to which you can sub. Give
> them your personal info - high school, hometown, former names, former
> workplaces -- and you'll get obits based on likely matches of people you
> know. If they don't have such a thing, someone should make one.... ravi?
>

>Facebook :-). Or do you mean one that won't sell your information to all
>and sundry? We could write one up for sure - "penetration" is the tricky
>problem.
>
> —ravi

absolutely not! that's where all the money would be! :)

I was thinking along the lines of a project a friend, Rohit, launched a couple of years ago. Hideous name: Ångströ. He launched it at some venture capital fund raising thingy. Basically, before Effbee became so ubiquitous, Rohit believed that you need a way to track your friends from college/former workmates with a degree of reliability that you couldn't get at the time. The tool would search news, linkedin, whatever to give you updates on what college chum just changed jobs, got a promotion, received grant funding, made the bar,....

It would feed it to you, a news feed of all pertinent information about people you wanted to follow. You would also be able to "train" it by saying, "Yes, the article about Joe Smith is about the Joe Smith I know," and saying "No..." to articles about the wrong Joe Smith.

Google bought it which, knowing RK, was the whole point anyway get it up and running with enough buzz to get some chump company to buy it.

At any rate, in this case, it would probably be wise to have it be an EffBee application that pulls information like that and drops it into your feed. Or something....