[lbo-talk] The Three Day Blow

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Aug 27 00:47:52 PDT 2011

At 10:50 PM 8/26/2011, Chuck Grimes wrote:
>Well, it's a damned shame the storm doesn't arrive on a work day. Fuck the
>Capitalists.

fuckinfersure.... a lot of ppl bitched at work about that. fortunately, the ceo, as he usually does, gave us the day off to prep/bug out.

hilarious story. i was running around doing errands, trying to find d batteries. decided i ought to check the commissary on the military base. get out my phone, go to their facebook page to see if they are even open before i waste a trip.

there, an announcement was made that naval station norfolk would be running on regular hours friday, the day before the storm is supposed to hit norfolk.

oh the outrage! all these military spouses and members up in arms that , i crap you negative, the military cares more about its ships than its personnel and their families.

I almost busted a gut. here's the military, members of which - and often families of which - will sometimes go on about sacrifice, duty to country and other bull shit.... but true to what I know of the military when they're not talking to a camera is this: it's a fucking every day ordinary damn job and, in some respects, they have a more critical, antagonistic relationship to their "bosses" than does an employee working a cewbpharm in the private sector.

i can't imagine anyone in our company publicly spouting off about how shitty the company is for making us work on friday before a storm. ahh. maybe one or two out of a dozen, and even then it would be a subdued joking sort of thing. not on this facebook thread. it was all ranting and moral shaming on the brass for making their sailors work at full staff. one person, a military mother, was the onlyl person to whine about how crucial it is to protect the country in case of Terrist Attack(tm)!

in the past, i've pointed out to military friends that a lot of them sound like staunch union guys when they say, "fuck them. they get my eight hours, nothing more and nothing less," and often don't understand why people in private sector jobs feel the pressure to work free overtime, etc. to protect their job security. given how hard it is to get fired in the military, they don't get that sort of pressure placed on job performance. yeah, no shit.

shag