[lbo-talk] Mehrene Larudee: Review of Nitzan and Bichler's "Capital as Power"

Jonathan Nitzan nitzan at yorku.ca
Sat Aug 27 13:29:03 PDT 2011

Review of Nitzan and Bichler's "Capital as Power" By Mehrene Larudee Review of Radical Political Economics, 2011, Vol. 43, No. 3 (September), pp. 418-420.

FROM THE REVIEW: "What is capital? In this impressive work, Nitzan and Bichler argue cogently, carefully, and (to my mind) convincingly that we should reject both the neoclassical and the Marxian conceptions of capital, and embrace instead the alternative conception they offer: that capital is power. I admit I was highly skeptical before I read the book, despite my admiration for their previous work, especially their analysis of differential profit rates and other issues in Nitzan and Bichler (2002). I was surprised, then, to find that I was largely persuaded that in some important sense capital is power, and that this view implies a rigorous, empirically sound research program that yields highly useful results. This short review cannot hope adequately to convey the depth and rigor of their analysis, or the encyclopedic knowledge of Marxian and other literature on which it is based; my hope is simply that it inspires or provokes the reader to pick up the book and argue with its ideas."

FULL TEXT: http://bnarchives.yorku.ca/319/

***

Recent additions and updates to the Bichler & Nitzan Archives: http://bnarchives.yorku.ca/perl/latest

To unsubscribe, reply to this email with "unsubscribe" in the subject field.

-- Jonathan Nitzan Political Science | Social and Political Thought York University 4700 Keele St. Toronto, Ontario, M3J-1P3 Canada Voice: (416) 736-2100, ext. 88822 Fax: (416) 736-5686 Email: nitzan at yorku.ca Website:http://bnarchives.net