[lbo-talk] Arab Spring: The Libyan Remix

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sat Aug 27 14:35:47 PDT 2011

On Aug 27, 2011, at 3:39 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:
> On 2011-08-27, at 2:15 PM, // ravi wrote:
>>>
>>> Ridiculous, hideous argument.
>>
>> Carrol’s point, I would guess, is that so-called democratic institutions and processes are susceptible to being manipulated both by local oligarchs and the OECD/IMF nations with whom they collude. It’s a legitimate concern, isn’t it? What do you say to that?
>
> Why stop there? Congress and Parliaments in the developed countries are similarly "susceptible to being manipulated" by the rich and powerful, which is understating it. Of course, it's a "legitimate concern", but it doesn't follow that the solution is to abolish these institutions and elections and transfer power to a single party or strongman to rule by decree. Evidently, Ravi hasn't been following this thread.

True, I haven’t been following the thread. I will check it out now using Lion’s super cool “Conversations” feature :-). I am curious about what other options there are… I am not saying there aren’t! (perhaps strong constitutional amendments restricting foreign involvement, investment, limits on campaign funding/spending, etc).

—ravi