[lbo-talk] $39,000 handbag

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 29 06:42:16 PDT 2011

On Aug 29, 2011, at 8:56 AM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com>wrote:
>
> i wonder how much of this tendency toward glorified the suffering of
>> oppression is rooted in the punitive aspects of christianity.
>>

> I'm lost. Who's glorifying anything? I'm talking about things that suck.

There's also a certain pleasure - almost a competitive pressure - in identifying with the sufferings of the most abused. I once read an essay on male masochism - can't remember the author - who says that the boy who can take the most pain wins: "taking it like a man." I think that's what "shag" was alluding to.

Doug