[lbo-talk] origins of the housing boom

Duane Eareckson duaneeareckson at msn.com
Tue Aug 30 00:04:41 PDT 2011

Jordan Hayes wrote:
> shag writes:
>
>> if that buyer says, here, let me give you 20k less than you
>> paid for it, how is there any equity in that house?
>
> Ask Joanna: she says banks don't have skin in the game :-)

To shag: There wouldn't be. To Jordan: With the seller's loss of downpayment equity and possible continuing obligations after a short sale, the banks wouldn't have 20K of "skin in the game". And what skin in the game they do have doesn't mean they won't enjoy a little overassessment con played on a potential buyer.