[lbo-talk] $39,000 handbag

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 11:28:57 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:57 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com>wrote:

I assume they hare having fun (enjoying) tweaking them! Why are you
> ashamed of that? I am having fun tweaking you right now!

Fair 'nuff. Switch out "he says" for "presumably," and I'd probably have let it pass without comment.

> it would be silly for someone to feel bad for someone else who is
> better off?

It all depends. I would feel sorry if your grandmother died, despite both of mine being dead. But feeling sorry for you having to go without power for a few hours, which I do multiple times on a daily basis, would be a little much.

> you think that the struggle of labor in the u.s. is as important as
> the struggle of palestinians?

Your key term demands definition. To paraphrase myself yesterday: "Important" to whom? And for what reason? Could a thing be "as important" in some ways, while less or more in others?

I honestly can't think of a current labor struggle in the US that strikes me as likely to be as consequential for a wider fight against the neoliberal-imperial complex as the battle for Palestine. Most of them are largely defensive, short on the kind of liberatory vision that might lend itself to a broader solidarity, and bogged down in the Democratic politics of that decaying aristocracy we've discussed. Despite its shining moments, Wisconsin proved to be a tempest in a teapot, largely for these reasons.

Could I be wrong about this? Obviously.

Will anyone know for sure before all of us are dead? Not likely.