[lbo-talk] Information warfare: Fake images of Green Square?

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 12:39:33 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> And how do you separate real tweets from propaganda
> bots?.

I don't. No one person does. The community does that work -- thousands and thousands of calls, tweets, SMS, etc. Over time, the Libyan community, sympathizers, and the diaspora gradually figured out who was telling the truth, who could be trusted, and who was full of BS.

> How much of the Libyan population has got internet access? It was off,
> and only recently turned back on, as far as I know...

The liberated cities of the east and the Nafusa mountains turned the internet back on pretty early in the revolution - plus, tech-savvy citizens like Mo Nabbous were webcasting via satellite from day one. But the main flows of media were via thumbdrives. The rebels would record events, put on them on thumbs, smuggle them into Misurata or Benghazi, then upload them to the world.

-- DRR