[lbo-talk] Posh as Fuck

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Dec 4 11:51:47 PST 2011

Joanna writes “Teachers could form co-ops and charge very reasonable fees for instruction. Students would opt for the lower cost and avoid the high fees of the universities”

My free market solution to the excessive cost of university fees was that universities should be obliged to examine any candidate, at cost price, and award them a degree accordingly, so that anyone who wanted to teach students to a college’s curriculum could enter those students for examination, on an equal footing to those who had attended the three years, paying only the costs of examining and marking the students’ scripts. I tried it out on a few people, but there weren’t many takers, not even among Tories. I guess that the ‘free market’ is not ready to break the colleges monopoly over the credentialling system.