[lbo-talk] Join us TODAY (Tuesday) in "de-evictions" in Brooklyn, and everywhere

Mitchel Cohen mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 5 21:15:04 PST 2011

Hi,

Around 6 weeks ago I began handing out flyers every day to Occupy Wall Street proposing a strategy of "opening up" foreclosed houses, libraries, etc.

Well, guess what? Others were thinking the same thing!

Today -- Tuesday, December 6 -- all across the country, Occupy Wall Streeters will begin moving people back into homes from which they'd been foreclosed.

If you're in NYC, the main focus will be in the Bed-Stuy/East New York section of Brooklyn. Occupy Brooklyn will be meeting at 11:30 a.m. -- join us! -- at Atlantic Terminal Plaza and taking the #3 train from there to the Pennsylvania Avenue station on the #3 train (Livonia St. station on the "L"). We'll join a festive parade beginning at 1 pm, stopping at many foreclosed homes and ending up at a giant block party in front of the "target" house -- being kept secret -- which will be occupied by a number of activists along with the family that had been evicted.

JOIN US!

I remember my dad's stories that he told me as a kid, how he and other union members barricaded themselves along with a Black family into an apartment they'd tried to rent in Stuyvesant Town (Manhattan), but which was refusing to rent to Black people in around 1950, I think it was, and how they withstood attempts to evict them, breaking open the "color line" in New York.

It seems to me that this is another facet of the same fight. Proud to be part of it.

Mitchel Cohen Brooklyn Greens/Green Party, and Chair, WBAI (99.5 FM) Local Station Board*

*for ID only.

http://www.MitchelCohen.com

Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack, a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. ~ Leonard Cohen