[lbo-talk] posh as fuck

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Dec 6 07:29:08 PST 2011

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 09:55:49 -0500 Alan Rudy <alan.rudy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I stressed imminent potential rather than claiming some sort of totalizing,
> cookshop vision. I am, at the moment, in the middle of defending salaries,
> benefits, and the scope of membership in a faculty union while
> simultaneously defending what was once a semi-functioning process of shared
> governance while trying to undermine the radical misallocation of state and
> tuition dollars to a fiscally irresponsible, completely unnecessary and
> local-elite-enriching Medical School.

You speak of 'imminent potential', whatever that phrase means, and yet what you actually list as political activities amounts to defending the status quo.

If anybody were putting anything really radical on the agenda -- like an end to grading, or admissions by lot rather than 'merit' -- then I would prick up my ears. But I rather suspect that very few toilers in the credentialling vineyard would actually sign off on these ideas; the psychic and institutional investment in the gatekeeper role runs very deep, as far as I can tell.

> I have no Master Plan, jackass

Tsk. Save that epithet for the Democrats among us (and we have a few).

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com

Any proposition that seems self-evident is almost certainly false.