[lbo-talk] Boots Riley on Occupy vs Decolonize

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 18:52:58 PST 2011

But you DID post it! But you are right, it's terrific. The decolonize fuss is a real solidarity-breaker. And I might as well add this footnote: this is the reason I've been calling attention to the Panthers. They were _the_ breakthrough against the kind of politics Boots is fighting. They were firm in their rejection of Black Identity Politics. In fact that opposition got two of them murdered by members of US (a Black nationalist group).

Carrol

^^^^^^^ CB: Yes, though in this period the Civil Rights activists as in SNCC were racially integrated first. Also, the Panthers did have some of the decolonize rhetoric and I don't know how the _Black_ Panthers could be considered to firmly reject Black Identity Politics. They told the White Panthers in the Detroit-Ann Arbor area to form the White Panthers.In other words, the Black Panthers weren't racially integrated , so that is some Black Identity Politics. The Panthers were friendlier with white radical allies than say the Nation of Islam. They weren't nationalists, however they did consider Malcolm X one of their inspirations.

All Power to the People !