[lbo-talk] posh as fuck/university bashing

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Wed Dec 7 10:35:10 PST 2011

We are, most of us, stuck in workplaces. Most workplaces in capitalist societies have many

awful things in common, and colleges and universities are no exception. But I want to make a couple of

points. First, the schools have become much more capitalist-like in the way they are managed. And work is more regimented. However, these things open up new avenues of struggle, avenues that it is worth pursuing, just as in a factory or offce there are avenues of struggle worth pursuing.If we are in workplaces, what are we supposed to do, just ignore all the shit that happens. We learn by our actions, no? Battles must be waged on all fronts. The nice thing about OWS is that it has people thinking about so many fronts for struggle. Second, not that many years ago, the schools were by and large places where the labor of teachers could be carried on in a different way than in factories or offices or most other workplaces. I was a great deal freer at work than was my dad in his factory. A great deal, even though he had a union. So why not take this past freedom and try to regain it and make it reality for all workers. Third, young people are key to radical struggle. A revolutionary like Tito, leading the partisans in the mountains at age 55, is a rare person. Many young people are in colleges, so we should encourage their struggles. Through them, many may come to see common ground with the youth not in school. Fourth, we have to struggle in whatever ways we can, wherever we are. How else are we going to get rid of that incubus weighing down on our breasts?