[lbo-talk] the beating heart of oakland commune: the kitchen

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Dec 7 15:25:48 PST 2011

Yes, I would agree with all this. Oakland is an interesting case. It is such an amazing mixture of ethnicities and modes of separation.

Here's the ethnic break-down:

White: 26% Asian: 17% Black: 27% Hispanic: 25%

Pretty segregated for the most part, especially the poorer segments.

I live near Lake Meritt, in a gray area of newly arrived Asians, a few blocks north of the hood, which is itself divided into a black hood and a latino hood.

Petty crime is common. In the last few years I don't seem to be able to keep a garden hose more than a month or so. Last year, I gave an outdoor party and the next day an ice chest went missing. Who stole it? As it turns out, a middle aged, overweight asian man, whom I caught hauling it down the hill a few minutes later. Also, last year some kids stole my new/old Toyota Camry and smashed it up. But mostly it's garden hoses, and spades , and rakes, and car radios.

It's a really beautiful city though. Lots of craftsmen homes, a lake, a rose garden, and very good humored people for the most part. Three hundred sunny days per year.

Joanna