[lbo-talk] Words That Don't Work

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 05:48:15 PST 2011

[WS:] Indeed. Several years ago I attended a conference in Thailand graced by the presence of her royal highness third princess. The Thais love their royalty infinitely more so than the Brits, so the amount of royal pomp and groveling before her royal highness that preceded the proceedings was mind boggling. The first presentation following the pomp cum groveling was delivered by a royal scholar who wished to reflect on the accomplishments of Thai educational institutions. Of course, the presentation was accompanied by obligatory Power Point slides. One of the slides addressed the Public Education, but the letter "l" was missing from the word "Public". I can only say that for the cost of travel and accommodations there was the Master Card, but the comic effect created by the contrast between the royal pomp and the Pubic Edumacation slide was priceless. The Euros and the Anglos in the audience made considerable efforts to keep their upper lips stiff.

Wojtek