[lbo-talk] dreaming in public

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 15:46:08 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

The primary fact abut any college or university is that it is a place where
> working-class people earn a living (and faculty is included in working
> class). Any attack on the university is therefore, first of all, an attack
> on the working class.

Sheer silliness. Police forces, prisons, execution chambers, and militaries are also "place[s] where working-class people earn a living." In fact, it's hard to think of any meaningful atrocity, more significant than a serial killer knocking off a dozen or so people, that has occurred over the last century without some working stiff drawing a paycheck from it. I don't mean to categorize higher education alongside mass murder, but if your best defense of it starts with an observation that it's a living, you might as well.