[lbo-talk] dreaming in public (with Uni connection)

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Dec 8 17:58:35 PST 2011

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 13:51:53 -0600 "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Any attack on the university is therefore, first of all, an attack
> on the working class.

Really? An 'attack' on an institution is ipso facto an 'attack' on the poor schmoes who work in it? This seems a little too sweeping.

Let me suggest an analogy. Probably a lot of us on this list think that Norteamericanos drive around in cars too much, and burn too much oil. But of course there are good working-class people who work in car plants and oil refineries. So are we attacking the 'working class' if we espouse measures that would lead to fewer cars being sold and less oil being burned?

> I'm not reading what others have to say on this thread . . . I'm afraid of
> becoming personally contemptuous of people I respect.

Oh, don't worry about that. Comes with the territory.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com

Any proposition that seems self-evident is almost certainly false.