[lbo-talk] posh as fuck

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Dec 8 19:06:34 PST 2011

On Dec 8, 2011, at 9:37 PM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 21:12:21 -0500
> // ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
>
>> Your post reminds me of Philip Kitcher’s intro to
>> his book Vaulting Ambition.
>
> Funny you should mention. I just picked up this
> book from the recycled-books table in my building,
> and have been reading it with great pleasure. My
> only regret is that it's not recent enough to contain
> a few whacks at that unspeakable creep Stephen Pinker.

Vaulting Ambition is unfortunately out of print and does predate Pinker. For a good treatment of EP in general (and in the vein of VA) I highly recommend Adapting Minds. For a short and robust take down of Pinker's adaptationism when it comes to cognition/psychology, there is Fodor's The Mind Doesn't Work That Way (even the NYRB essay that led to the book suffices to demonstrate Pinker's overreaches).

-- ravi