[lbo-talk] Climate change proposal

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 03:04:11 PST 2011

On Dec 8, 2011, at 7:11 AM, michael perelman wrote:

> If a large number of countries wish to band together to limit climate
> change, could they impose a tariff on imports from countries that do
> not limit CO2 production, accusing the non-compliant of taking
> advantage of an unfair trade practice?

In principle they could presumably try, but it's been hard to maintain cohesion around any position of resistance. At least one very seasoned former delegate has been trying to get a bloc together to refuse to endorse the emerging deal - which eliminates binding emissions targets and is likely to hand control of the GCF to the Global Environment Fund, despite unanimous rejection of this proposal by the G77+China - and to walk out in protest. We'll see what happens over the course of the day and tonight, but the general sense is that it's very unlikely. Lots of threats reportedly being made behind the scenes to withdraw aid to countries considering any real resistance - i.e., anything beyond the huffing and puffing needed to maintain credibility among outraged home-country constituencies.