[lbo-talk] Speaking of University Bashing...

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 12:13:55 PST 2011

I have no problem with an education that is dedicated to

-- making us aware of our conditioning -- helping us develop skills, learn languages, etc.

I don't think that has to happen in a setting that is isolated from the world of work, play, and home.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 1:48 PM, <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> But I would add that the study of Latin is absolutely crucial to the understanding of western mental habits and sciences because these were shaped by the study of Latin as an ideal or perfect language.

But that's the crux of the argument for schools, isn't it? Some basis of knowledge you're expected be familiar with in order to build on it or, if you care, undermine it.