[lbo-talk] Speaking of University Bashing...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 9 12:56:32 PST 2011

On Dec 9, 2011, at 3:42 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 22:26:18 +0200
> Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Now why such experiences are squandered on kids at an age where they would
>> rather drink and screw, I don't know.
>
> I'd *still* rather drink and screw. But anytime those options
> aren't available, Homer is your friend.

Why should these be mutually exclusive options. It's all a riot of discovery.

Years ago, I saw a quote from some neocon (in the old, Public Interest sense) who said that the problem with college is that it gave middle class kids a taste of leisure and so rendered them unfit for real life. Can't have that.

And then there's this famous quote:

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~hbf/priscult.html

> Later that year, Roger Freeman--a key educational adviser to Nixon then working for the reelection of California Governor Ronald Reagan--defined quite precisely the target of the conservative counterattack: "We are in danger of producing an educated proletariat. That's dynamite! We have to be selective on who we allow to go through higher education."

Oh, but I keep forgetting. Universities are like prisons, except maybe worse.

Doug