[lbo-talk] Speaking of University Bashing...

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Dec 9 13:00:58 PST 2011

Wojtek writes:

> When I lived in CA, UCSC did not give grades, they only provided
> narrative feedback. However, many students demanded grades, and
> there was talk about abolishing this system, because it hurt their
> credentialing business. I am not sure if they still use it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_California,_Santa_Cruz#Grading

Grading

For most of its history, UCSC employed a unique student evaluation system. With the exception of the choice of letter grades in science courses the only grades assigned were "pass" and "no record", supplemented with narrative evaluations. Beginning in 1997, UCSC allowed students the option of selecting letter grade evaluations, but course grades were still optional until 2000, when faculty voted to require students receive letter grades. Students were still given narrative evaluations to complement the letter grades. As of 2010, the narrative evaluations were deemed an unnecessary expenditure. Still, some professors write evaluations for all students while some would write evaluations for specific students upon request. Students can still elect to receive a "pass/no pass" grade, but many academic programs limit or even forbid pass/no pass grading. A grade of C and above would receive a grade of "pass". Overall, students may now earn no more than 25% of their UCSC credits on a "pass/no pass" basis. Although the default grading option for almost all courses offered is now "graded", most course grades are still accompanied by written evaluations.