[lbo-talk] Speaking of University Bashing...

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sat Dec 10 06:49:46 PST 2011

On Dec 9, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Wojtek S wrote:
> Doug: "Schools are hierarchical, man. You know, the teacher is
> presumed to know more than the students”

It’s been a long thread and I might have missed something, but what I did read in the criticism of universities was not the sort of thing implied above. For my part, I have no problem with teachers knowing more than students and imparting that knowledge using a hierarchy. What I do question are the ideas that educational institutions teach critical thinking, that they perform some sort of valid ranking of individuals, and that meritocratic ranking is even a useful tool when evaluated against larger goals than pushing the capitalistic system further along.

—ravi