[lbo-talk] A German Europe

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Dec 10 10:18:46 PST 2011

No doubt Cameron’s reasons are not mine, but the proposed new treaty is more of what was rejected by a large, popular and left opposition in 2005. Wojtek and Joel are wrong to see this as a choice, the choice is between choice and no choice. What Merkel was proposing was that the sovereign governments of the European Union should submit their finances and policies for approval before a panel of unelected bureaucrats. By all means, Wojtek, if you think that the US should join the European Union, then I think they would be very happy to have you (you just have to talk the other 300 million around). Of course it would be good to see the City of London under democratic control, but this is quite the opposite. As to whether Cameron is a good statesman or not, who gives a rat’s ass? Are we living in the eighteenth century? Are we supposed to look on while bewigged Chancellors and Princes decide what should happen? I don’t care how badly he played his hand. I am not in the game. As long as the future of European peoples is decided in the opaque world of ‘statesmanship’, for so long will they be without power.