[lbo-talk] the beating heart of oakland commune: the kitchen

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 09:27:26 PST 2011

>> Carrol: Blowing themselves up was
>> about the best thing they ever did.
>
> MG: I know you've got a thing about the Weathermen, but you don't mean this, do
> you?
>
> Carrol: Probably not. But those bombs, if completed, were very apt to blow someone
> up. And not usefully.

Possibly, though like most ultraleft terrorist groups, the Weathermen did not intend to blow anyone up. They targeted government buildings and capitalist institutions like the banks, and issued warnings in advance for the occupants to evacuate. Nonetheless, you have a point. Bombs always carry the risk of killing innocent bystanders. I can recall two terrorist incidents which ended this way - a bomb planted in a mailbox by the Front de liberation quebecois and another left by antiwar activists in a University of Wisconsin lab conducting military research. Each, of course, was set to detonate in the wee hours of the morning when it was wrongly assumed no one would be around.