[lbo-talk] A Crisis of Neo-liberalism or a Crisis of Captialism?" by Christopher Carrico

Mike Hess mhess126 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 14:09:08 PST 2011

We could use a better analysis of neoliberalism here. Was neoliberalism a new ideology, or simply a name applied to a later stage of Capitalist dynamics/devolution?

If the working class can organize sufficient power to demand a return to 1950s-era regulation and distribution of wealth, on the next day the struggle begins to preserve those gains. It seems likely that 50 years (or less) down the line, we'd have a political movement very similar to neoliberalism crafting the same kinds of policies.

This is the problem with the reformist approach: you can make meaningful change that improves the living standards of the working class', but you don't get to keep it.