[lbo-talk] TeleSur tweets about Iran´s president criticism wrt Capitalism *and* Marxism, then erases it...

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 23:56:19 PST 2011

"Revolutionary" Venezuelan left´s tv channel TeleSur has a presence on Twitter. A few hours ago, they were tweeting about an interview they did with Iran´s president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad... 140 characters at a time.

Until Ahmadinejad allegedly said that both Capitalism and Marxism have failed. At that moment @teleSURtv tweeted about it, echoing Ahmadinejad´s words. Then they had second thoughts about it (must have been something around the lines of "hey waitaminute... we´re supposed to be pro-Marxism and anti-capitalism... we can´t admit no Marxism failure!").

So, they erased the tweet...

Here´s a screen capture of the url of the tweet they used to echo Ahmadinejad´s words, which now is gone: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/censuratelesurtv2.jpg/

and here Ahmadinejad´s words criticising Capitalism *and* Marxism, on Google News (which indexed TeleSur). http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1682/censuratelesur1.jpg

I was very saddened to see Hugo Chavez´ tv news station engaging in self-censoring on it twitter feed... There´s a thin line between that and Stalin´s vanishing Commissar... http://www.newseum.org/berlinwall/commissar_vanishes/

FC -- "The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers." Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code