[lbo-talk] Discussion & The Matrix, as Philosophical Work

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Dec 14 06:53:05 PST 2011

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011, Ismail Lagardien wrote:

> It's either really tragic, or a sign of the times (or both), that the
> best "conversations" I am part of on a regular basis, are on the LBO and
> Marxism lists.

Could it also be because you teach in a school on the far side of nowhere? Or did that not happen?

> Has anyone seen this documentary on the Matrix? It coves the many
> philosophical concepts that inspired and are presented in the three
> movies.

IMHO, the philosophical ideas in matrix...well, I can't finish the sentence without snorting. I think any stoned freshman bull session does better. I think the film is better if you don't think about them, because then you can ignore their inadequacy, and just enjoy the unique action set-up that bad ideas make possible.

However there is a hilarious and wonderful analysis of The Matrix as economics in Chapter 4 of _Modern Political Economics_ (by Yanis Varoufakis, Joseph Halevi and Nicholas J. Theocarakis) that I think you in particular would enjoy immensely.

Michael