[lbo-talk] Interview w Graeber

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 08:03:18 PST 2011

On Dec 12, 2011, at 10:17 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> Some interesting personal background...
>
> http://www.thewhitereview.org/interviews/interview-with-david-graeber/

I found this really worth reading; thanks for the link. I especially liked this:

"One of the principles of the consensus process is that you can’t challenge anyone on their motives; you have to assume that everyone is being honest and has good intentions. Not because you necessarily think it’s true, but as an extension of what might be considered the fundamental anarchist insight: if you treat people like children they will tend to act like children. If you treat them like adults, there’s at least some chance they will act responsibly. Ironically, I found this habit of generosity, this giving people the benefit of the doubt, was the exact opposite of the way I was taught to argue as a scholar."

(Yes, I'm also guilty of this. Apologies. I'll try to be better in future.)

There's a kind of integrity to Graeber's presence and voice - simultaneously serious and light - that I find rare, humbling and inspiring.