[lbo-talk] The Planet is Fine

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 10:35:48 PST 2011

On Dec 14, 2011, at 8:14 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> I haven't read any of the posts under this subject line because the phrase
> itself is silly. Of curse the planet is fine; it's always been fine. What is
> in question of whether it is going to continue to be fine FOR human

Carrol, you're the only member of LBO-Talk for whom I would willingly take a bullet, and I know that your vision challenges limit your ability to engage with the list (and I know you know how seriously I take those challenges, because I have gone out of my way on more than one occasion to make sure information posted to the list was available to you in a form you would be able to read), but you've really missed the point here. Anthropogenic climate change is on track to destroy substantial portions of other life on the planet: non-human life that will have been destroyed *solely* due to human action and inaction, and life that in principle could, in principle and in time, give rise to even better species than what we are. I'm no hater of humanity - some of my best friends are humans (wink) - and I'm a committed revolutionary for the working class, but there is also a larger perspective from within which human responsibility can reasonably be viewed. From that perspective, as well as from any more mundane, anthropocentric Marxist perspective, we are fucking the shit up, big time. I'm personally biased toward humans - again, most of my best friends are humans, as well as most of my past lovers (wink) - but since any reasonable expectation for human fulfillment must include the affirmation of the countless and astonishing miracles of natural potential - birds, dogs, horses, spinach, garlic, tomatoes (tomatoes! from the garden!) - your intervention is both premature and unnecessarily crotchety.