[lbo-talk] Occupy the hood: A black perspective on occupy wallstreet

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 14:25:58 PST 2011

Just to be clear the original statement from Occupy the Hood that I posted urged Black people to support OWS ,unity of Black and White. No oneupmanship from Occupy the Hood, but unity of the Occupiers.

Joanna mentioned that the Hood statement made no mention of law enforcement and prisons which disproportionately impact Black people. Then a different statement from "Black People" compared the Occupations' mistreatment by police with the norm Joanna had mentioned.

I just want to be clear that Occupy the Hood is speaking unity among Occupiers, calling for all Black people to join the Occupation struggle. ,not doing victim one-up-man-ship

Charles

^^^^^^^^^

Doug Henwood

Well, yeah, but what's the point of this exactly? I'm guessing that most OWS participants are more aware of what cops are like than the average Joe. That aside, whites shouldn't complain because things could be worse, i.e., they could be black? Some sort of one-upmanship? Please enlighten.

Doug