[lbo-talk] Occupy the hood: A black perspective on occupy wallstreet

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 11:57:52 PST 2011

Thanks for saying what I was trying to say, only much better.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- nice analysis.

I still don't see the worth of the remark however. It's a remark that expects blacks to act a certain way - become involved in OWS because it's in *their* interest particularly - whereas the speaker would never hold himself or white leftists to the same expectation that they get involved. Subject of history problem! Whites would be and have been allowed the individuality to claim some particular reason for non-involvement such as age, job responsibilities, family commitments, temperament, etc. But these responses from white activists *are* racialized. That we can't see whites' responses as racialized is the very character of much structural racism to begin with.

Second, as you indicate, there's a very different climate today than in 1955. In the south, if a black person got arrested (no doubt even if a white person got arrested) the repercussions for arrest were far different. A black man or woman in the south wasn't necessarily going to suffer the rest of her life for it. Today, you get arrested and it prevents you from obtaining a remarkable number of job opportunities. Nevermind the simple fact of the costs of being arrested and/or being wounded.

Finally, the experience and knowledge of police repression and socialization about how to respond to /avoid it is racialized. Callously ignoring that fact and attributing the ability to overcome it or not to some personal quality or even to some widespread pathology is hardly in the realm of left analysis. The fact is, whites *do* go to these protests largely unaware of police brutality and often shocked that they come up against it. Black children are socialized from a very early age how to handle themselves with cops, how to avoid being in contact with them, etc.