[lbo-talk] Now That the Factories Are Closed, It’s Tee Time in Benton Harbor, Mich.

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 03:07:07 PST 2011

Michael S: "Future? This has been present reality for a couple of generations now. The ones I think of are New York-centric -- Robert Moses, the MTA -- but examples certainly abound elsewhere, or so I hear"

[WS:] The apartheid part, yes, but they are no so blatant in jettisoning the tokens of democracy. Usually, they carefully erect storefronts of democracy and religiously go through the motions and formalities: impact studies, charrettes etc. even though it is a developer friendly done deal from the start. This is the beauty of the Etast Unis - business fascism with smiley faces written all over it.

BTW, transportation system is one of the main mechanisms of informal apartheid in the Etats Unis. White people drive, colored people take the bus. It is really hard to miss that when using transit, I am usually one one of very few - if any - white faces on the bus.

Wojtek