[lbo-talk] Christopher Hitchens dead

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at sydney.edu.au
Fri Dec 16 06:56:42 PST 2011

CGE wrote:

'I think that's right. He'll be remembered as part of the pantomime horse that Terry Eagleton called "Ditchkins" in Reason, Faith, and Revolution: Reflections on the God Debate.

Requiescat in pace.'

Perhaps. I'm more sure that none of us know how he'll be remembered in the long term.

What I'm personally struck by, although I was never a fan at all, is his capacity to enable debate in a usefully non-stupid way. I think my son became a Hitchens fan at about 14 or so. It was the Orwell book anyway. He was a big Orwell fan and I somewhat randomly decided to give him Why Orwell Matters for Christmas that year. Ironic, I suppose. Doubly so, given that he (my son I mean) was a Christmas boycotter even then. Anyway, Hitchens then and since has marked a space for interesting debate in my home and even when both of us disagreed with him that's been a wholly productive thing because, as I said, he's never been idiotic.

I truly believe the world is just better for the presence of people who want and further intelligent debate and I think Hitchens could be fairly credited with both those things. Most people who get his press manage to get either dumb or clownish.

So. Vale.

Catherine