[lbo-talk] My Letter To CH

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Dec 16 11:38:23 PST 2011

On Dec 16, 2011, at 2:07 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> I wasn't anywhere near as close to him as you were, but I always liked him. He gave me a great blurb when I started LBO ("a charm against the priests & warlocks of pseudo-science"), and was always friendly when I saw him. His turn to the right made me really sad - and the glee that some people seemed to take in his mortal illness pissed me off.

Would you be pissed at people gleeful about a hypothetical Dick Cheney mortal illness? If so, is it a matter of drawing a line within the Right where such glee turns wrong? Or like Wojtek are you bound by niceties and stylistic concerns related to [all of] the dead?

Surely it is not that you think the rest of the world should celebrate or tolerate Hitchens because he was sweet to you? :-)

BTW, I liked Shag’s link to the overrated white dudes page. Michael Pollak said it best about Hitchens and what he was good at.

—ravi