[lbo-talk] My Letter To CH

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 12:00:04 PST 2011

On 12/16/2011 2:45 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

On Dec 16, 2011, at 2:38 PM, // ravi wrote:
>> Would you be pissed at people gleeful about a hypothetical Dick Cheney mortal illness? If so, is it a matter of drawing a line within the Right where such glee turns wrong? Or like Wojtek are you bound by niceties and stylistic concerns related to [all of] the dead?
> Hitchens once said, dismissing the facile equivalence of Stalin and Hitler, that with Stalin there was the feeling that he was betraying something. I feel the same way about the post-9/11 Hitchens.
>
>> BTW, I liked Shag’s link to the overrated white dudes page.
> I didn't. It's glib and stupid and overrated.

Didn't read the white dude thing, but I think that's the essence here. He was a privileged white dude. To take a random example: Amiri Baraka will be remembered for his brilliant poetry and his commitment to an idea of justice. As for his antisemitism, homophobia, rape fantasies, etc., they will be placed in biographical and historical context, as they should be.

SA