[lbo-talk] My Letter To CH

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Dec 16 12:04:49 PST 2011

On Dec 16, 2011, at 2:52 PM, Wojtek S wrote:
> Ravi: "Surely it is not that you think the rest of the world should
> celebrate or tolerate Hitchens because he was sweet to you? :-)
>
> [WS:] That is not the point. It is about tolerating ideological
> disagreement and still being civil to one another, which seems to be a
> weak spot of many in the Etats Unis, right or left. It is one thing
> when someone supports war of aggresion for reasons that are all wrong,
> and when someone is personally responsible for launching one. Hitch
> may be a misguided intellectual, Bush & Chaney are a war criminals -
> which makes a big difference

So “Islamofascis{m,t}” is “being civil to one another”? Not every collection of words, however stylistically expressed, is an ideology. And as Shag once pointed out to me, there are all kinds of incivilities.

> Ravi: "BTW, I liked Shag’s link to the overrated white dudes page."
>
> [WS:] That would be considered racist tripe the picture showed a
> person of color.

I doubt it. People talk about overrated black sportsmen all the time. But yeah, speaking generally, being about a person of colour is what makes it racist in *this* world. There is nothing contradictory or hypocritical about that.

—ravi