[lbo-talk] occupy the hood

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 15:26:04 PST 2011

Doug wrote:

> The scope of the prison-industrial system is greatly exaggerated,
> but of course mass imprisonment isn't.

Actually, I mean to refer to the entire tilted system of "administration of justice, law enforcement," etc. It includes police brutality, the bias in the legal system, etc. I just lack better (and concise) terms and wanted to use a term people are familiar with.

> That aside, you list specific
> things, all of which are admirable, and most of which would benefit
> people of all colors. So why phrase it as a battle against "structural
> racism" when it's also about a struggle for a half-decent society?

Because racism exists and won't disappear if people don't fight against it. And that struggle is theirs or it is not. If Black people decide not to raise the issue, we should be fine with that. Actually, it depends on who does it. If it is an upper class, privileged Black person claiming that, my reaction will be different. But for non-Blacks who pursue the broader unity of the class, to deny it or pretend that it doesn't need to be addressed specifically is divisive.