[lbo-talk] Boots Riley on Occupy the Hood

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 17 17:21:45 PST 2011

OWS is potentially something (or the initiator of something) radically distinct from all ordinary union purposes. So the question is which unions or which segments of which unions can relate to those purposes as they are discovered. (Purposes are always discovered in the action, never a fixed goal prior to the action) The potential goal here is of course the destruction of capitalist relations of production. Paying less than $15 an hour at Walmart can be considered an injury. You do recall, do you not, the old labor slogan, An injury to one is an injury to all. That pay (while still grossly inadequate) would increase the freedom of action of Walmart employees, thereby making it possible for at least some of them to enter into the general struggle of All.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of lasko Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 4:55 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Boots Riley on Occupy the Hood

This and the KPFA discussion is very interesting. Every time I read an article about OWS and labor the admittedly half-formed thought pops into my head that OWS is a union.

What Boots might discover, when approaching a traditional union with the proposition that they fight for a $15/hour wage for Walmart workers, is that he will be listened to politely and then the organizers will start trying to manage down his expectations.

The KPFA segment on OWS as means of bypassing legal and contractual limits on strikes and secondary boycotts by having a non-union entity do the organizing omitted to mention that these type of organizations pre-date OWS. There are labor-aligned non-profits that actively seek to circumvent the restrictions on unions by organizing actions by union members outside the formal hierarchy of the unions they belong to.

I guess the question is whether OWS is an informal version of these alternative organizations, or if these alternatives and OWS are a new kind of union.