[lbo-talk] My letter to CH

cgreen7223 at aol.com cgreen7223 at aol.com
Sat Dec 17 23:05:01 PST 2011

It's not like the unseemly joy over Hitchens's death is unprovoked. He used his influential position to advocate for mass murder and called anti-war people like myself idiots and enablers of totalitarian terrorist murder and so on. Calling people names like that and cheerleading for mass murder in very crude fashion is not going to get you a very friendly response when you die. In his last ten years he gave the impression in his writings of being a pathological douchebag. But yes people should be more intellectually mature. At least Hitchens didn't kill innocent people himself, at least as far as I know. As H.L. Mencken once advised, irony is far more effective in polemical writing than unrestrained and inhuman moral rage of the sort where you cheer the death of people. I'm sure that as Hitchens gained more celebrity in the establishment and spent time with the likes of David Horowitz and Paul Wolfowitz, he was deep down very unhappy. I wonder how much alcohol contributed to the sharp deterioration in his thinking.

I first became aware of him not long before he became involved in the Lewinsky affair in the late 90's. As he basked in the admiration of right wing idiots as "an honest liberal", he seemed to suppress his left wing beliefs. Maybe if more people on the left accepted as legtimate the critique of Clinton's private moral character, then he wouldn't have felt so alienated and thus joined the right wing.

Political turn-coats from left to right are fascinating. It would be interesting to know what was going on inside his head. The logic he used in his arguments to support the War on Terror showed extraordinary stupidity especially when you compare it with his level of knowledge about the world and the high level of reasoning he displayed many other times. Feeble-minded is a term that comes to mind to descibe his logic.

Obviously it is not easy being an active dissident against mainstream society and selling-out always presents a strong lure.

Chris Green http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=44901401