[lbo-talk] dc xmas/shopping

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Sun Dec 18 19:54:02 PST 2011

The sculpture garden at the National Gallery is great. The Hirschorn Museum is nice, as is the Corcoran. In the old Smithsonian building, the old machines are fantastic works of craftsmanship. I can vouch for the Tabbard Inn. A cool place, and my son was once sous chef there. We were served a special meal there once, and the guests were wondering who we were, since we got such individual attention, especially when the chef came out wearing his toque! The C&O Canal bikepath, which begins in Georgetown is fun to do, and you can go a long way. Georgetown University is a neat place to check out. You can probably eat off the floors, they are so spotless, no doubt the work of nuns. From Georgetown, you can bike across the Key Bridge to Arlington. The Newseum is there, as is the National Cemetery. It's interesting to wander around the tombstones. Plus there is the house of the Lee family, which the US bought from Lee's heirs, something outrageous in my opinion. I love the Iwo Jima sculpture nearby too. One of the flag raisers was Sergeant Mike Strank, whose nephew and namesake was a student of mine. Of all the monuments at the Mall, I like the one for the Korean War. You can almost feel the fear of the men. Busboys and Poets is a good bookstore. I gave a talk there once. There is a stage and bright stage lights. I felt like a stand up comedian, and people were having dinner too. I wowed them, of course!!