[lbo-talk] letter from a tour guide

davidchachere at yahoo.com davidchachere at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 18 22:21:56 PST 2011

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

Please join tour guides, Occupy Wall St, and faith leaders to tell

Speaker Christine Quinn not to sacrifice living wage jobs of the

99% for the profit of the 1%! Sign our petition http://tinyurl.com/keepnyclive and rally with us on the steps of City Hall Monday December 19th at 10am.

I am one of at least two hundred members of Transport Worker's

Union Local 225 who may be jobless soon for no reason other than

corporate greed. We are the sight seeing tour guides who offer

live narrations, answer questions, prevent injuries, and otherwise

assist passengers on the big red Gray Line double-decker sight

seeing busess you may have noticed around NYC. Our employer, Twin

America (which reported a profit of about $20 million last year),

is threatening to fire us and replace us with automated

narrations. We are calling on the City Council to amend city code

to require live, licensed sightseeing guides on NYC bus tours. We

believe mandating the live guide standard is reasonable way the

city should insure quality and consumer protection for guests to

our city. Our Legal experts and our supporters on city council

agree, but Speaker Quinn's office has been blocking our efforts,

while refusing to publicly explain why.

So on Monday December 19th, while our union leadership meets with

Gray Line management, for a final scheduled negotiation, we will

gather at city hall. We will gather to expose the greed and abuse

of the illegal monopoly which controls double decker sightseeing

in NYC. We will gather to ask Speaker Quinn to decide which side

she's on: The side of living wage jobs for the 99% or the side of

profits for the 1%? We ask supporters to please participate in

ways that re-inforce our message. Suggested talking points

include:

-Real Guides for a Real City

-Experienced Tour Guides Save Lives*

-Stop Corporate Greed/Save Living Wage Jobs

-Haven't We Lost Enough Jobs Already?

-Keep NYC Live/Keep Living Wage Jobs

We request that these talking points be the basis for signs,

chants, interviews, and human microphone messages, etc at the

rally. The rally will begin with a formal press conference. Please

arrive early to pass through security. The number of people that

will be allowed onto City Hall steps may be restricted. But,

others may gather in solidarity behind the fence or in City Hall

Park.

I am not an official of TWU 225, so I cannot officially speak for

the Union. You can reach Bob Murphy my shop steward directly at Shadowgraph at hotmail.com, or a union negotiator, James Muessig, at jamesmuessig at aol.com

Thank you for your support. Please forward this invite to any

lists you can. Rally and petition endorsed by Occupy Wall St Labor

Outreach Committee.

In Solidarity,

Marcos E de Jesús

http://www.facebook.com/LiveGuidesNYC

http://tinyurl.com/keepnyclive

*Double decker bus rides may be especially hazardous in NYC where

overhanging street lights, signs, branches, etc. often pass within

inches of passengers heads. The best defense against passenger

injury and death on double decker busses is the experienced, live

licensed guide, who knows when to warn about every possible

hazard, in every possible circumstance of weather, roa d/overhead

conditions etc.

 Experienced, licensed guides do, in fact, save lives.

PS-Links for more information

NY Times coverage of Twin America’s monopoly: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/tour-bus-post-to-sked-for-7am/

A direct link to the Surface Transportation Board’s denial of the legality of Twin America’s joint venture: http://www.scribd.com/doc/48833851/Surface-Transportation-Board-NYC-Tour-Bus-Decision

News coverage of Real Live Guides for NYC: http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-blog/2011/nov/29/tour-guides-protest-possible-replacement-audio-recordings/ http://manhattan.ny1.com/content/top_stories/151652/tour-bus-guides-rally-at-city-hall-to-save-their-jobs