[lbo-talk] dc xmas/shopping?

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 19 10:09:16 PST 2011

[My brother Mac & I grew up in DC (well, within the 10-mile square, on the right bank of the Potomac); he still lives there, in the house we grew up in, which he's filled with his extended family. I passed along shag's request to him; here's his answer, addressed to her: his closing paragraph is quite right... --CGE]

* * *

Dear Sir or Madam:

my favorites:

Rock Creek Cemetery <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Grief-in-Rock-Creek-Cemetery?listingID=843499

> Webster St NW & Rock Creek Church Rd NW

Statue marking grave of Henry Adams’ wife, Clover. The statue is commonly known as “Grief.” The sculptor, Saint-Gaudens, referred to it as “The Peace of God.” Adams insisted that the statute not be named. Clover committed suicide.

Other graves in Rock Creek Cemetery: Upton Sinclair, plus the requisite number of Supreme Court justices, congressmen, senators, bank presidents, to form a conspiracy.

Ford's Theatre <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Ford-s-Theatre?listingID=843249

> 511 - 10th St NW, (CGE Inc. did a major rehab in the 60’s, since redone)

NB: “Sic Semper Tyrannis” is motto of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Lincoln Memorial at an hour before sunrise (CGE Inc. did the lighting rehab, and did the same on Washington Monument, since redone with last major rehab. CGE Inc. did Jefferson Memorial, too, including the borings in the dome for inset fixtures).

Einstein Statue <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Einstein-Statue?listingID=842925

> Constitution Ave NW & 22nd St NW. The boys liked to climb on it, and sit in his lap.

US Portrait Gallery, and next door, Smithsonian American Art Museum and Renwick Gallery 8th and F Streets, N.W.

National Building Museum, 401 F St NW

People watch: US Congress. You won’t see any.

coffee house

Bourbon Coffee 2101 L Street NW (an acquaintance of mine is the US principal of the Rwandan company, promoting the coffees of Africa)

restaurant I want to visit:

Red Derby 3718 14th St. NW

Others: don’t know. The downwardly mobile have little disposable income.

bars and clubs:

Jazz clubs, Blues Alley in Georgetown, 1073 Rear (down the alley) Wisconsin Ave., Bohemian Caverns, 11th and U Street, and Twins Jazz, 1344 U St. NW, all three with eponymous websites. Only the street-wise on U Street, unless traveling by cab. Other jazz clubs, see www.dcjazz.com

Brewpub: Capitol City Brewing, 1100 New York Avenue, corner of 11th and H Streets NW.

Others: I’ll ask the boys. I know Sam has been to Madam’s Organ in Adam’s Morgan, 2461 18th St NW, and some others. Crow Bar, 1006 20th Street, and Black Cat, 1831 14th St NW, are well known and reliably rowdy. Patrick has played the Black Cat, the Velvet Lounge, and the 9:30 Club, later two on U Street.

bookstores

Kramerbooks & Afterwords Café <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Restaurants/Kramerbooks---Afterwords-Cafe?listingID=843978

Politics and Prose and Modern Times Coffee House <http://www.moderntimescoffeehouse.com/> 5015 Connecticut Ave. NW

Busboys & Poets <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Bookstores/Busboys-and-Poets

> 2021 14th St NW (named for Langston Hughes’ big break, now more café than bookstore)

For bikers:

C&O Towpath/Canal Locks <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/C-O-Towpath-Canal-Locks?listingID=841752

> Canal Rd NW

bikedc.net and bikewashington.org

[I'd add City Bikes <http://citybikes.com/>, at three locations in town & owned by a former student of mine (ask for Charlie & say Carl sends his best) --CGE]

Alternative shopping, generally

U Street Corridor

Dupont Circle

notfortourists has a good website for the restaurants, night life, shopping and landmarks (organized by neighborhoods), although it is far from comprehensive for alternative sites or the city at large. For alternative sites, www.washingtoncitypaper.com/neighborhoods. For the city at large, Washingtonian magazine, http://www.dcpages.com/, http://www.citysbest.com/washington-dc/, and www.washingtoncitypaper.com/neighborhoods, www.washingtonian.com/, http://www.washingtonlife.com/, and www.washingtonpost.com/gog/

Washington Post on Thursdays and Sunday has the most comprehensive list in print. Any source should be checked with the establishment’s website.

I would cull the notfortourists list as follows:

Exorcist steps 3600 Prospect St. NW (Georgetown)

African-American Civil War Memorial <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/African-American-Civil-War-Memorial?listingID=841022

1000 U St NW

Australian Embassy <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Australian-Embassy?listingID=841244

1601 Massachusetts Ave NW (Christmas kangaroos)

Battleground National Military Cemetery <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Battleground-National-Military-Cemetery?listingID=841408

Ben's Chili Bowl <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Ben-s-Chili-Bowl?listingID=841471

Chinatown Gate <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Chinatown-Gate?listingID=842201

Shakespeare Theatre <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Shakespeare-Theatre?listingID=845409

Sonny Bono Memorial [sic! --CGE] <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Sonny-Bono-Memorial?listingID=845535

Temple of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Temple-of-the-Scottish-Rite-of-Freemasonry?listingID=845990

The Kreeger Museum <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/The-Kreeger-Museum?listingID=846080

> 2401 Foxhall Rd NW

The Octagon <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/The-Octagon?listingID=846097

1799 New York Ave NW

US Botanic Garden <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/US-Botanic-Garden?listingID=846369

United States Botanic Garden <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/United-States-Botanic-Garden?listingID=857583

USS Sequoia <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/USS-Sequoia?listingID=846387

Duke Ellington Mural <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Duke-Ellington-Mural?listingID=842845

Eastern Market <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Eastern-Market?listingID=842898

Folger Shakespeare Library <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Folger-Shakespeare-Library?listingID=843241

Decatur House <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Decatur-House?listingID=842758

Lincoln Cottage, Soldiers Home <http://www.notfortourists.com/LD.aspx/Washington-DC/Landmarks/Lincoln-Cottage,-Soldiers-Home?listingID=844093

> 3700 N Capitol St NW

Gourmet food shops tend to be very small and specialized, or homogenous chains. Any speciality ?

Call me if you have a question or need anything, 703 407-0498. Identify yourself by asking for a cracker. Carl works on a need to know basis with little brothers and other underlings. He did not include your name or email when he forwarded your requests to me for immediate response. It's not your fault. He wanted to edit the response.

Mac

PS Carl wants to go to the Spy Museum, 800 F St. NW. Your call.